Home   |   State Rep Blog   |   FAQs   |   Results   |   Photos   |   GP Info   |   Clubs   |   Archives   |   Links
www.arkansasrrca.com home www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index
Maintained for and by the Arkansas Running Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister *VIP Code = blue 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ironman...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenDoesLife
Lee Bong-Ju

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Ironman... Reply with quote

My brother, my dad, and I are headed up to Kentucky this week to compete in Ironman Louisville.

We're hoping to "just finish" in the allotted 17 hour time-limit. It would be very satisfying.

I haven't been able to make recent GP races because A: Saturdays are our long training sessions and B: I'm too scared of injury (and losing the $600 entry fee) to go all out.

For those that might be interested, you'll be able to track me on a live feed via My Athlete GPS (a great product, btw) here: http://www.myathletegps.com/EventTrackingInfo.html (some of you ultra runners might want to look into this product for your friends and family)

Anyway... It's to the point where I'm dreaming about it every night. I'm scared, but trusting my training plan. Here's to hoping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Street Reaper
Kipchoge Keino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've come this far in the last few years... you know you can do it! Good luck to ya! feverish feverish
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Ben!!!
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Ben Davis quote, after finishing the Denver Marathon less than a year after running the first mile.

ďTo say I fulfilled a lifelong dream would be a lie. But maybe thatís the beauty. I had done something that I perceived to be so far from possible that I hadnít even dreamt about it.Ē

Man, you can do anything!

GWebb
Lee Bong-Ju

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben

I have been watching the ironman and dreaming of doing one since i was ten. I have been running since i was 12 and still havnt managed to run further than 22 miles. I am seriously considering trying the 70.3 in Branson but probably wont make that either. To watch your progression from new runner to Ironman in such a small amount of time is truly inspirational. I know everybody in the Arkansas running community is pulling for ya as much as i am. Good Luck!
Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one reciveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 1 CORINTHIANS 9:24
absolutzer0
Craig Virgin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILL IT BRO!!!
Sophia Garrett
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did it! Ben, his dad, and his brother all finished in 16:47. Way to go, guys, especially with that scorching weather!
dmeroney
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Arkansas RRCA State Rep
staterep@arkrrca.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArkansasRRCA

@ArkansasRRCA
#arkgrandprix
#arkrun
501 - 291 - 5642
absolutzer0
Craig Virgin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAY TO GO GUYS! Congratulations!
BenDoesLife
Lee Bong-Ju

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the support.

In case you're interested, here's a pretty in depth (2,900 words) recap of the entire day: http://bendoeslife.tumblr.com/post/1044220739/august-29th-2010

A very emotional day. Glad to have finished so successfully (relatively, of course).

Looking forward to getting back to GP! See you this weekend!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Charlie D.
Ian Stewart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw you last night I congratulated you on your IM finish and remarked that it appeared you had lost a lot of weight...
This morning I was embarrassed when I viewed your "You Tube" video and realized just how much weight you HAD lost.
You are an Ironman in more ways than one. javascript:emoticon('I tip my hat to you')
Congratulations young man!!
Ashleyp
Craig Virgin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, I cried as I read your blog of your ironman day. I've never done a triathlon, but my husband has done Ironman Florida and Wisconsin. I know the work that you put in and the sacrifices that your family made to get you there! I know the emotion of that day. I am so proud for you. What an amazing accomplishment that you will draw on your entire life. You now know that you can do anything!!! I hope you got a tattoo for all to see. My husband's is on his arm. I have always said that if I could accomplish such a feat, I would tattoo my forehead! We laugh that in my family I am "just" a marathoner while my brother has also done 3 Ironman races. You, my friend, are an IRONMAN!!!!!

Sincerely,
Ashley Philbrick
Congrats also to your brother and dad. my dad and I ran the LRMarathon together this year and it was a priceless memory!
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story, Ben! Congrats!! The Clap We're Not Worthy Hooray and what not!
jmassingill
Liz McColgan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Ben. You are such an inspiration. I get tears in my eyes when I watch your youtube video. I show it to as many people as I can. Sharing great accomplishments with family members means a lot. I know. In 2006 I ran my first marathon with my 72 year old mother who was running her first marathon and my 20 year old daughter who was running her first marathon. It is a day I will never forget. Hooray and what not!
NewlyImproved
Rodgers Rop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

I watched your video via facebook.

Your a inspiration brother. You remind me why I wake up every morning and do what I do, and how truly blessed I am. Run on!

NI

"The strength of the wolf lies in the pack, the strengh of the pack lies in the wolf"

"The process is the goal"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: