Home   |   State Rep Blog   |   FAQs   |   Results   |   Photos   |   GP Info   |   Clubs   |   Archives   |   Links
www.arkansasrrca.com home www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index
Maintained for and by the Arkansas Running Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister *VIP Code = blue 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Myth (?) of Fast Downhill Courses
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you posted a year's fastest 5k time at the Firecracker or Dam Night runs?
Yes
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
No
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Rocket Man
Rick Wohlhuter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerPaw wrote:
Kidding aside, I must have passed you somewhere along the course at some point. I bet it was near Markham or up TigerPaw Hill. Because I really started picking up the pace at that point.

Now that you mention it, I can run up most hills without a problem (since I train on hilly courses). But TigerPaw Hill has always been tough for me. I had to take a short (10 second?) walk break just before the turn into the finish line (mostly to get my heart rate down... that's why I didn't puke, I suppose). Bet you said "hi" and "bye" to me there! I tip my hat to you That was the thud-thud-thud sound I heard flying by!

That sound reminded me of my days in the mid 70's at LSU when streaking was a fad. We'd hear that sound, thud-thud-thud, coming around the quadrangle's sidewalk and know a streaker Shocked was coming by. Got to be so common that we'd hardly bother to glance up we were so focused on our studies. :? This is the second time that we've digressed to talking about naked runners in the last few days because of barefoot running! rolling eyes:
Rocket Man
Rick Wohlhuter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
there's a technique in how you handle that gravity..... and me too.....lol

Seeing Tom's post got me to thinking I should compare race times with someone in the younger age groups. So:

Tom Aspel 2007:

Firecracker 19:00
Valentines 18:59 I tip my hat to you

Clear Mtn 18:47
Dam Night 18:47
Firecrakcer 18:45

Dam Night 17:55
Firecracker 17:41
Valentines 17:52 The Clap

Valentines 5k must hold a special place in many runners' hearts!
Rocket Man
Rick Wohlhuter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those of you who use Athlinks, go check out your "Heat in the Street 5k" times! Mine shows a 15:30 time for that 5k! Shocked Shocked

Shhhh.... don't say a word. We can use this listing to impress people and win friends. Wink

Does a typo negate a 5k PR? No need to respond. Durn! Twisted Evil
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollowell wrote:
This forum provides me with numerous chuckles per day. Laughing Laughing Laughing

At the risk of going over my quota for the month of posting photos in which I appear, this might be worth a chuckle. I always try to lead the first 50 feet of any small race. Caleb Mays also got a chuckle as he jogged effortlessly into the lead, while my heart almost exploded out of my chest trying to stay with him. He put over two minutes on the second place finisher.

Thanks to Kim Howard, Ronnie Penney, and Mike Prince for directing the Leanne Harris Memorial 5-K. It was a nice little race with beach towels for the winners, trophies and medals for the kids race, and a huge cooler of popsicles.

To stay on topic, this race was flat and 1:23 slower than my Firecracker 3 days earlier.

MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocket Man wrote:
Valentines 5k must hold a special place in many runners' hearts!

My flat 5-K PR is also the VD - could this be the time of the year, the temp, or the course, i.e. fear of alligators? My next best flat 5-K is ValleyFest, so perhaps it is just being in Russellville, or the inspiration of Billy and Chucky.

stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocket Man wrote:

It seems that every step running downhill is actually a braking step that expends energy. Sometimes, with improper form, as much energy can be spent running down hill as running on a level surface. Over striding and leaning forward too much can decrease speed and increase the risk for serious injury. Running smoothly, keeping feet close to the ground with a normal stride, seems to be a common recommendation. I have not been doing this. I would not hear my feet slapping if I were. This was CG's advice to me after the FC. Thanks, Coach Charles! I'm gonna train on some extra downhills before the DN run. Maybe, just maybe... Very Happy

Advice I received from an elite 5K(14:30) / 10K (28:00) runner on running downhill: You should feel like you are almost sitting down. But I believe that pertains to very steep gradees. Yes, I'm well aware that my writing is not perfect.

Just thinking about running downhill makes me hurt and sad right now. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealthycat wrote:
Advice I received from an elite 5K(14:30) / 10K (28:00) runner...

This guy should only run the second half of his 10-K in 13:30 for a new PR!! Laughing

stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarathonBoy wrote:
stealthycat wrote:
Advice I received from an elite 5K(14:30) / 10K (28:00) runner...

This guy should only run the second half of his 10-K in 13:30 for a new PR!! Laughing

I didn't post his actual PR's, I am sure that his indoor 5K PR is much much faster than 14:30. I have his running resume at home, but I am in Minnesota, so I can't be 100% accurate. I suppose I shouldn't have posted...

edit: in this article, Jason talks about running a 13:53. I was just going based on what he ran when he was in Little Rock in '05, which was actually a 14:43. http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/news/USATF10K_2004_Preview.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: