Home   |   State Rep Blog   |   FAQs   |   Results   |   Photos   |   GP Info   |   Clubs   |   Archives   |   Links
www.arkansasrrca.com home www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index
Maintained for and by the Arkansas Running Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister *VIP Code = blue 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Magazine Poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which mag do you prefer?
Runner's World
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Running Times
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Running Magazine Poll Reply with quote

We haven't had a poll question in forever - I just got an add to renew for Runner's World and get Running Times thrown in. There has been some talk about both over the years. What is your preference? Why?

TedBSlow
Khalid Khannouchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both very good, and I have subscribed to both over the years. If I had to choose one it would be RT.
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Running Times because I feel like it really gets into the more technical scientific facts about running. It seems to me like RW waters down training programs and many times gives an approach that is probably not going to yeild very good results in cardiovascular conditioning and long term improvements. But I actually don't have very much Magazine Reading time these days - I am usually out running. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jenny weatter
Rod Dixon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Runner's World was the only one. Maybe I should look into subscribing to the other one.
DFLRunner
Peter Snell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought these two magazines had merged or maybe they are about to merge. Eh, I'm probably confused.
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runner's World bought Running Times. There will still be 2 separate magazines.. More $$$ selling 2 magazines than just 1! Kinda like ABC owning ESPN!
I agree with stealthy on this one. RW is more likely to tell you how to finish a marathon while running 1 day a week, while RT will go into more detail, but I subscribe to RW. I run the same old training plan I've always done regardless, although I should follow some stricter training plan The Wall .
Here's the news release------

NEW YORK, February 26, 2007 – Rodale Inc., the authoritative source for trusted content in health and wellness worldwide, announced today the acquisition of Running Times magazine and runningtimes.com branded media properties, from Fitness Publishing, Inc. based in Wilton, CT. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

"This acquisition creates the largest multi-media platform for runners and further strengthens Rodale's leadership position in the rapidly growing running marketplace," said Steve Murphy, President and CEO of Rodale. "Runner's World has experienced tremendous growth over the past few years by providing relevant content for both the serious and more casual fitness runner in the magazine and on runnerswold.com. With this acquisition, we will further expand our reach in both print and online to serve the audience of highly dedicated and competitive runners and offer this expanded audience to advertisers who look to Rodale to reach consumers interested in health and fitness."

Running Times, founded in 1977, currently has a rate base of more than 105,000 and a readership of more than 400,000. Running Times advertising revenues increased 38% in 2006, with pages rising by 24%. Running Times circulation has increased 117% since 1998. The magazine covers the racing culture, explores the science and health effects of training and the training philosophies and practices of top athletes and coaches, provides race reports and results, rates and profiles elite runners and provides stories and commentary that reflect the dedicated runner's world view. Its online property, runningtimes.com, provides an extensive database of races and other relevant information.

Running Times and http://www.runningtimes.com will continue to operate under the Running Times brand, and will be independent of the Runner's World and http://www.runnersworld.com brands. Runner's World and Running Times, however, will combine their respective databases of race events to provide a single source for racers.

Rodale will bring additional resources to the Running Times editorial and design teams, as well as its experience in producing successful, award-winning magazines.

"This is a terrific opportunity for Running Times and the dedicated running community," said Carol Lasseter-Rice, publisher of Running Times. "Rodale brings added investment, a wealth of publishing experience and a longstanding allegiance to the running community."

Runner's World will continue to be co-led by Andy Hersam, vice president and publisher, and David Willey, vice president and editor-in-chief. Carol Lasseter-Rice will remain publisher of Running Times during a transition period and will report to Hersam. Jonathan Beverly will remain as editor-in-chief of Running Times and will report to Willey.

"We are very enthusiastic about the running marketplace," added Murphy. "2006 was Runner's World's best year ever. The running community continues to grow, as more women participate and the sport gains popularity internationally. With running's biggest stage - the Olympics - slated for 2008, Rodale through Runner's World and Running Times is uniquely positioned as the definitive source of information for runners and fans of running."

Runner's World finished 2006 with its fifth consecutive record year, up 6% in ad pages and 14.8% in revenue. The title also added 91 new advertisers, including American Express, Infiniti, Toyota Prius, The North Face, BP British Petroleum, Pentax, Eddie Bauer, Timberland, Fila, Ecco, Columbia and Keen, and broke 700 ad pages. The title raised its rate base for the eleventh straight year in January to 630,000, and in 2006 received its third National Magazine Award nomination in the past two years with a nomination for General Excellence (among titles with 500,000 to 1 million circulation). Runner's World also was on Ad Week's Hot List in 2003 and 2004, and in 2005 won the Ad Week "Creative Team of the Year" and was on Ad Age's "A List." In February 2006, Runner's World launched a new international edition in Italy, in partnership with Edisport Editoriale, bringing its worldwide reach to nine editions in 11 countries.

About Runner's World
Recognized as the worldwide authority on running information, the mission of Rodale's Runner's World is to inform, advise, and motivate runners of all ages and abilities. Runner's World aims to help runners achieve their personal health, fitness, and performance goals, and to inspire them with vivid, memorable storytelling. Currently Runner's World publishes nine international editions in 11 countries, plus a special bi-annual teen running publication, High School Runner. Runner's World's companion Web site, www.runnersworld.com, is the largest running community on the Internet, featuring interactive, searchable, and targeted content for runners of all ages and abilities.

About Rodale Inc.
Rodale Inc., which was recognized by the trade publication Advertising Age as Publishing Company of the Year for 2006, is the authoritative source for trusted content in health, fitness and wellness around the world, reaching nearly 40 million people each month. The company publishes some of the best-known health and wellness lifestyle magazines, including Men's Health, Prevention, Women's Health, Runner's World, Best Life, Bicycling, Backpacker, Mountain Bike and Organic Gardening, and is also the largest independent book publisher in America with a collection of international titles, including The South Beach Diet and The Abs Diet franchises, and most recently Al Gore’s New York Times bestseller An Inconvenient Truth. Rodale's broad range of media platforms includes magazines, books, videos and extensive Web sites. The company is also a leader in direct-response marketing and has more than 26 million active customers in its database. http://www.rodale.com.

More News
ScottEason
Uta Pippig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure spending the money on beer does my running more good than either magazine.
Paul Butler
Ron Clarke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both, but subscribe to RW. Here's my take:

RT reads like a recipe book, do this, add this, avoid that, bake at 7:45 min/mile for 15 miles. And thats great, but I think it appeals more to folks who ran XC in High School, life long runners. Even the articles are ABOUT people who talk about running using numbers.

RW, while it may be light on hard core training, appeals more to people who see running as something bigger than stats and finish times. People who are comfortable reading a John Bingham article right before they peruse a chapter of Dr. Jack Daniels VO2Max training manual. Folks, like me, that want it all...the technical and the existential...the wacky 3 day-a-week training plan ideas and the write-ups about 120 mile-per-week Olympians.

Anyway, thats my $0.02 worth.
sidewinder
Herb Elliott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't stand RW....its like the National Enquirer....lol RT I like....BUT Track and Field News is the Bible of our sport........ Very Happy Very Happy
Clydesdale
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Sidewinder what are you doing on the computer? You told me the reason you stunk up the intervals yesterday was because you were working so hard from dusk till dawn, what's up?
Sterk-Razy
Tarzan Brown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a training tool..RT
As entertainment about our sport..RW
Clydesdale
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Sterk!
Longhaul
Tarzan Brown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care much for either RT or RW. They apparently think the marathon is the only racing distance there is. Aspel is right - Track & Field News is the mag to have. My personal favorite though is Trail Runner[/img]
Longhaul
Tarzan Brown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care much for either RT or RW. They apparently think the marathon is the only racing distance there is. Aspel is right - Track & Field News is the mag to have. My personal favorite though is Trail Runner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: