Home   |   State Rep Blog   |   FAQs   |   Results   |   Photos   |   GP Info   |   Clubs   |   Archives   |   Links
www.arkansasrrca.com home www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index
Maintained for and by the Arkansas Running Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister *VIP Code = blue 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prefontaine vs. Armstrong
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pre vs. Lance in a Marathon
Pre
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Lance
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Prefontaine vs. Armstrong Reply with quote

Had Pre lived and had Lance chosen running over cycling, who would have run the faster marathon?

Don't just vote, explain your reasoning. Of course, we already have several educated guesses on the Pre thread. I have also read a lot about Lance and predictions running experts have made of his potential. And then of course, he is running New York in November.

DavidCPA
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As determined and talented as Pre may have been, he never beat the big guys in his day. Armstrong was a near world-class triathelete as a teenager and bagged the biggest prize in his chosen sport seven years in a row. Throw in cancer as a mid-career kicker and Armstrong wins hands down.

Of course, both Pre and Armstrong would be beaten soundly by a slew of African and Middle Eastern marathoners in this fantasy race.
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting Pre because I've read Lance's book, and he's chalk full of himself, and angry. Besides, I think he only decided to do a marathon because after he and his wife divorced she took up running, and he has to prove that he's still a better athlete than her. PUH-LEEZ. rolling eyes: Talk about ego problem. He's even planning to do the same race. As if that isn't obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brian S-ski
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre, hands down. Pre was a world elite runner. Lance was a world elite cyclist. Lance did some running with triathalons in his younger days, but cycling became his sport because it is what he was best at.
Pre did hold the American record for the 10K in his day. The guy that holds the American 10K record now is Meb and he's a pretty good marathoner. I don't think Pre would have been as good as Meb is, and I know he wouldn't be anywhere near that ridiculous 1:59:59 that MB suggested, but you have to figure that Pre could have been somewhere around 2:12 or 2:13 on a good course with decent weather. If he really trainined for it, maybe another minute lower.
I can't fathom Lance being under 2:20. The physiological make up of an elite cyclist is not the same as an elite runner. Lance would be doing good to get a few minutes under 2:30 even if he devoted his life to it.
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Pre without a doubt! And Stealthy, I wouldn't let my ex-wife out do me either!! Very Happy Of course, she did take a few stabs at him in her articles in Runners World.

Last edited by kimhoward on Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidCPA
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions vary. See this article on Runnersworld.com:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-78-0-0-6573,00.html

Some say no better than 2:30 to 2:40, others say sub 2:10.

I still say he is an extremely elite aerobic athelete with the discipline to alter his training, body, and mental outlook to be successful at an event such as a marathon.
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimhoward wrote:
Yep, Pre without a doubt! And Stealthy, I wouldn't let my ex-wife out do me either!! Very Happy Of course, she did take a few stabs at him in her articles in Runners World.

didn't know you had an ex-wife! Wink I quit getting RW - what did she say about him?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Meduna
Dave Bedford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like comparing apples and oranges to see what tastes most like an apple. Pre would win by a calendar. If I remember right, Michael Jordan sucked at baseball. Yet, both sports require eye-hand coordination, athletecism and an incredible drive. Just because a guy is best in the world at one sport doesn't mean he would be even good at another. I have no doubt that Lance could run under 3 hours, even 240, but Pre was a different type of machine. A college teamate of mine ran 2:30, he was no Pre. If trained right, a good 5 or 10ker can be a great marathoner. It comes down to training, the speed at which you put one foot in front of another, and convincing yourself to do it for 26.2. Pre would have run 2:12 or better. I won't even get into the mechanics of running versus cycling.

Maybe a better question would be Landis (good hip) versus Lance over 26.2. Landis is 2" taller and weighs less.
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian S-ski wrote:
Meb, and he's a pretty good marathoner.

Brian S-ski wrote:
Lance did some running with triathalons

Certainly one, and arguably two of the candidates for Understatement of the Year!

I watched Meb win Silver in the Olympics on a hot day when World Record Holder Paul Terget looked like me the last mile.

I dont know much about Lance's running, but "did some running" sounds funny.

Thanks to all for your input. This is fun! Laughing

Meduna
Dave Bedford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, we're trying to figure out what Pre would have done, who lived to the ripe old age of 24. His best years were yet to come.
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meduna wrote:
If trained right, a good 5 or 10ker can be a great marathoner.

If the above is true, then BSki and Meduna are the most qualified to answer this, at least based solely on their personal accomplishments, as both are suberb 5 and 10-Kers and BSki did 3:09, 3:13 (hot day in Boston), and 2:56 on marathons 2-4 and Meduna had never gone more than what was it? 15 miles? and then did a 3:09 marathon.

Meduna
Dave Bedford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "suberb" means marginally decent, I'm OK with that statement. If that was a typo and "superb" was intended...neither of us are quite in that category. Talk to Aspel. Actually, look at what Tom ran to make these analyses.
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that was coming....you people are too darn humble. I look at it like this - you are closer to Pre than I am to you, ok??

So Coach, what is your take on this? Or are you still on the porch with the newspaper in the Orange Crush chair??

Meduna wrote:
If "suberb" means marginally decent, I'm OK with that statement.

Dude, you are worse than my Mom, the English teacher! I can't believe you haven't pointed out that there were only 9 items on my Top 10 list earlier.

Actually, I meant that you guys only run in the suburbs, and that you can't handle the trail stuff, like Chucky and me Laughing Laughing Laughing

kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ex-wife for me Stealthy. Plenty of ex-gf's, though, including one I have a son by. None of my gf's would ever marry me Crying or Very sad lol,..And I DAMN sure wouldn't let any of them beat me in anything! :evil: Mostly she just had some sarcastic comments..him being gone all the time and, and such.
I had heard that Lance's training wasn't going real well, It may be hard for him to get in the competive runner's mode. There have been plenty of posts over on letsrun.com about this as well.
Still, no doubt Pre would beat him. I have to admit, I never really knew all that much about Pre, until I read the book "Pre". It is an awesome book, this topic has had me looking back through it at his American Records he sat back then. I remember watching him on TV on Wide World of Sports, and CBS Sports Spectacular. This was pre-ESPN. (no pun intended) All I ever heard about back then was Jim Ryun, and Marty Liquori. Of course they were milers, and that was/is the glory event of track.
Brian S-ski
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of Pre vs Liquori in a 1 mile race on a really crappy looking indoor track. Nice interview with Prefontaine at the end too.

Indoor Mile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: