Home   |   State Rep Blog   |   FAQs   |   Results   |   Photos   |   GP Info   |   Clubs   |   Archives   |   Links
www.arkansasrrca.com home www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index
Maintained for and by the Arkansas Running Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister *VIP Code = blue 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official Pukers Club
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever puked after/during a race?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 24

Brian S-ski
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Official Pukers Club Reply with quote

Inspired by Polansky's recent post-race celebration, I feel a new poll is in order.

So, who has puked after a race and who hasn't?

As was well reported at the time, I vomited twice immediately after finishing the Lincoln Marathon. There, I've confessed, now it's everyone else's turn.

MB, a simple text response is just fine. No photographic evidence, please.
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, many times, at least 5 that I can think of. One 10-K and 4 marathons, usually around mile 24.

Meduna
Dave Bedford

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 seconds of dry heaving after the same Lincoln Marathon. Spit out a good mouthful.
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the dry heaves twice. First time was at the finish of the Spa 10K a few years back. I knew I had left it all on the course! The other time was this year at Houston. About 15 yds. from the finish I started dry heaving. I thought I was going down!! Of course, it didn't help that I had stayed out late 2 nights before trying to carboload Wink
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, haven't yet. Makes me wonder if I don't run hard enough. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polansky
The Man Who Shat on Hope

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time, almost.
Few post-race sessions as long and productive as the violent
spewing eruptions that inspired so many coming in Saturday
after my race in NLR. Aspel on my a** and Kim just in front of me at
the end - Pushed me to the limit. I was still at it beyond the 3 mile marker on my cool down/puke up.
Made me miss all the finishline confrontations. (is that guy on steroids?)

Also - Never during. Dry heaves occasionally. Always after, almost.
Rocket Man
Rick Wohlhuter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never. Probably not pushed the envelop. A bit of queasiness in the 20's but the rock salt under tongue trick seems to take care of that. My doc friend says it is usually because we push ourselves past our max heart rate -- which I don't understand -- how can you go past the max?
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Young wrote:
My doc friend says it is usually because we push ourselves past our max heart rate -- which I don't understand -- how can you go past the max?

that's when you're dead. Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidCPA
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered yes but only because there was no time limit set on the question. I last puked after a race in high school (18-20 years ago). I also used to puke regularly during practices. Most of my problem was ignorance in terms of what and when to eat before running. I try to be much smarter now.

I also ran much harder back then. Since I returned to running last year, I haven't been able to push myself past a particular comfort zone. I can run to the point feeling nauseated but can't push myself past that point yet. It's a mental thing in my opinion that's probably worth 10-15 seconds off of my 5K PR.
bransom
John Walker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - I just cannot push to the point of puking!!! Must be a guy thing.

Brenda
DavidCPA
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bransom wrote:
Must be a guy thing.

It wasn't a guy thing to the young lady "calling Ralph" after finishing the HealthSouth 4 miler in Batesville. Very Happy
onthepitch
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came close to "losing it" as well at Batesville. Just as I was turning the corner to the finish line after that last hill. Insides were definitely churning, but so far no celebrations of that type. Only a matter of time, i'm sure.
Paul Butler
Ron Clarke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bransom wrote:
Must be a guy thing.

Thats funny, because the last two cricket feeding sessions I've witnessed have been women. The last, a young lady, mid to late teens, at Valley Fest just about a month ago.

I've never done it (well, since football in HS anyway), but I come the closest on super hot/humid runs rather than effort. Maybe that's because my effort is inferior? Very Happy
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pukers jumped out 4-0 but the non-pukers have made a nice comeback. I say at poll's end, we line everybody up that voted and run 10 miles in 106 degrees and score it Grand Prix style but based on volume and intensity of the "celebration" rather than finishing time.

On a long boring drive one time, my 8-year old kid and I came up with our list of as many terms for it as we could. I have learned several more from this thread, and of course, cheated and went to thesaurus.com, but here is what I have so far:

Puke
Vomit
Hurl
Barf
Upchuck
Regurgitate
Spew
Throw up
Spit up
Retch
Toss
Toss your cookies
Toss your toenails
Blow chunks
Heave
Keck
Ralph
Losing it
Worship the porcelain god
Driving the bus/truck
“Technicolor hurl” (Paul Ward’s contribution to the list from BSki’s Lincoln trip)
Vlerp (George Carlin’s term for the combination Vomit Burp)
Feeding the crickets (Paul Butler)

I would guess there are some good ones I am missing.

I would love to say it happens because of some kind of Herculean effort but I think it is more a combination of misjudged and/or mistimed effort and food choices. It took me 3 times of oranges at miles 16-18 to figure out what was causing my problems at miles 22-24. I am a slow learner. I never eat during a marathon any more.

Once I was trying to apologize to two old ladies on the sidewalk who said, "don't worry about it, we have kids in cross country." David Reagler has my vote for Race Director of All Time for the way he took care of me one year, and I still don't think he knows my name and just says "Hey, you're the puker guy!" Another time I think I really scared an inexperienced finish line volunteer who thought I was dying. And of course, my all-time favorite (which earned me the middle initial P throughout the Grand Prix season that year) was my sprint to the finish line against then 11-year old Alec Helms, in which I held him off by 0.37 seconds only to step through the finish line chute and do you-know-what.

There is something about it that makes you feel like you gave it your best shot, or "left it all out there," so to speak. Those of you who have expressed something to the effect of "having not pushed yourself to that level of effort" ought to try it as you might just like it. Laughing (Too bad there is not a barfing emoticon.) And DavidASAP, I would take that 15 seconds for the 5-K in a heartbeat - small price to pay!

It certainly isn't a guy thing. A woman finished right behind me in a marathon with arms raised triumphantly and then lost it right there on the spot. On a related note, one year the female winner of the Chicago Marathon had problems at the other end, and had to decide whether to keep going and finish first for $120,000 or stop and take care of it, and of course, she chose the cash.

Meduna
Dave Bedford

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget:

Calling Ralph on the big white phone
Calling Dinosaurs
The Technicolor Yawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: