Home   |   State Rep Blog   |   FAQs   |   Results   |   Photos   |   GP Info   |   Clubs   |   Archives   |   Links
www.arkansasrrca.com home www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index
Maintained for and by the Arkansas Running Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister *VIP Code = blue 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pains, Strains, and ITB Syndrome, Oh My! The Injury Poll
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What has been you injury status since January 1, 2006?
No injuries, I'm invincible.
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Injured and couldn't run for < 1 week
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 1 week and < 1 month
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 1 month and < 3 months
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 3 months
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and ran through the pain
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

DavidCPA
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Pains, Strains, and ITB Syndrome, Oh My! The Injury Poll Reply with quote

I've read in a couple of publications that 60% of runners will incur an injury each year. I'm not sure how they define injury, but I thought a little poll might shed some light on the truth of that statistic.
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 6 1/2 years and 7,000 miles, I would have voted invincible, but this week I need to wait and see before I vote.

Gi-Gi
Wes Santee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I injured myself after then 2003 LR Marathon, and it took me about 4 months to recover! Being injured SUCKS!
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I finally seemed to be getting over a pulled left hamstring that nagged me for almost 2 years. The pain went over to the right hip. Then after the Lum and Abner 5K at Mena in June, I couldn't run the next day, hip flexor was killing me!! I took off a week, but it still hurts. I run though it. I'm sure it will go away sooner or later, and the pain will show up somewhere else. Seems like I overcompensate for one injury and create another. That's the only bad thing about running.
Rocket Man
Rick Wohlhuter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injuries are so closely tied to weekly mileage. This month's Runners World talks about that. Seems that the 40-50 mile range, depending on age, is a cutoff for avoiding injury -- most are stress induced. That is my weekly max (40-50) during marathon training. So maybe I've been lucky 8) , stupid rolling eyes: , or lazy Embarassed (compared to some of you 80-100 weekly mileage runners), but I've not suffered any injuries in three years of running to put me off the road. I've had some aches and pains, though... :evil: plenty of them! If they seem bad, I will add an extra day or two of rest.
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I come from the opposite end of running philosophy. Very Happy More smart running equals the proper amount of stress on your muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments, etc., thus causing them to become stronger and resistant to injury. The added benefit of more running is more cardio training. I know some of you are thinking I am just a hypocrite, but c'mon. I have the same amount of injury as anyone. I guarantee Tom Aspel runs more miles per week than I do - and I don't think that he suffers from any more injuries than I do. What it basically comes down to is being smart and relaxed about your running in whatever volume you are practicing - 20, 30, 40, 50, or 100 miles per week, no difference. :) One who is under a heavier training load, obviously has to be a little smarter than one under a lighter training load, but that's a no-brainer. :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocket Man
Rick Wohlhuter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, Stealthy, you make it sound like ya gotta THINK about this stuff, like a PhD or something. Shocked What about "Just do it!"? MB, this seque's for you!
Kentuckyslowrunner
Lee Bong-Ju

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealthycat wrote-[I guarantee Tom Aspel runs more miles per week than I do - and I don't think that he suffers from any more injuries than I do][/quote] Hey Stealty ask him how he got the name sidewinder and ol' Sweller. Laughing
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Young wrote:
"Just do it!"?

That's what I do! "It" referring to my training schedule. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealthycat wrote:
Ok, so I come from the opposite end of running philosophy. Very Happy More smart running equals the proper amount of stress on your muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments, etc., thus causing them to become stronger and resistant to injury. The added benefit of more running is more cardio training. I know some of you are thinking I am just a hypocrite, but c'mon. I have the same amount of injury as anyone. I guarantee Tom Aspel runs more miles per week than I do - and I don't think that he suffers from any more injuries than I do. What it basically comes down to is being smart and relaxed about your running in whatever volume you are practicing - 20, 30, 40, 50, or 100 miles per week, no difference. :) One who is under a heavier training load, obviously has to be a little smarter than one under a lighter training load, but that's a no-brainer. :)

Blah blah blah blah.... rolling eyes:

sassyangelac
Marty Liquori

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Just keep saying it... Reply with quote

The pain in my left butt cheek after the Race for the Cure is NOT an injury--it's NOT! I'm just sore ~om~ I'm just sore ~om~ I'm just sore... Wink
Clydesdale
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealthy, I hate to disagree with ya but.................. Train Smart???????? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy We are talking about Thomas Sidewinder Aspel here!!! Run till it's a blood nub! Train through it!!! Off days are for people who read Runners World!!! These are only a few quotes from our cantered running friend! Very Happy I'd say he's retired more runners than social security!!!!
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Mills wrote:
I'd say he's retired more runners than social security!!!!

LOL. Too funny. Laughing

I don't read Runner's World. LOL Got fed up with it a loooooong time ago... Laughing
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think everyone is different. Some people can handle 100 MPW, some can't do over 30. Some have bad body mechanics, or their body just can't handle it. But, you must train smart! Not hard every day!! A rest day can be a day of easy miles!! Buttttttttt...I just take off instead. I've seen the charts in RW about the over 40 MPW, as well as other books. I know I run better when I am training over 40 MPW, but I can still sense I am an inch away from an injury.
I still read RW, though usually just for race articles. Running Jornal and Running Times are better and more informative.
Brian S-ski
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealthycat wrote:
I don't read Runner's World. LOL Got fed up with it a loooooong time ago... Laughing

As far as I can tell, there are only four basic articles in Runner's World. I think everything they print is a basic rehash on one of the following themes:

1. Marathon finishing program based on 3 runs per week
2. New diet fad for runners
3. Celebrities that run
4. Attractive running shoes/outfits/ipods
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: