Home   |   State Rep Blog   |   FAQs   |   Results   |   Photos   |   GP Info   |   Clubs   |   Archives   |   Links
www.arkansasrrca.com home www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index
Maintained for and by the Arkansas Running Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister *VIP Code = blue 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pains, Strains, and ITB Syndrome, Oh My! The Injury Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What has been you injury status since January 1, 2006?
No injuries, I'm invincible.
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Injured and couldn't run for < 1 week
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 1 week and < 1 month
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 1 month and < 3 months
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 3 months
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and ran through the pain
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian S-ski wrote:
As far as I can tell, there are only four basic articles in Runner's World. I think everything they print is a basic rehash on one of the following themes:

1. Marathon finishing program based on 3 runs per week
2. New diet fad for runners
3. Celebrities that run
4. Attractive running shoes/outfits/ipods

5. Transvestites that run. Laughing

and Featured in the Nov. 2006 issue:

6. Kirsten Armstrong's Diary: I'm over Lance, and I run marathons now, but he's still faster than I am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brian S-ski
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealthycat wrote:
Brian S-ski wrote:
As far as I can tell, there are only four basic articles in Runner's World. I think everything they print is a basic rehash on one of the following themes:

1. Marathon finishing program based on 3 runs per week
2. New diet fad for runners
3. Celebrities that run
4. Attractive running shoes/outfits/ipods

5. Transvestites that run. Laughing

and Featured in the Nov. 2006 issue:

6. Kirsten Armstrong's Diary: I'm over Lance, and I run marathons now, but he's still faster than I am.

Your #5 fits into category #4. And your #6 fits into category #3.
Just have to change the titles to "Unattractive running outfits" and "Ex-wives of Celebrities that run".
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian S-ski wrote:
Your #5 fits into category #4. And your #6 fits into category #3.
Just have to change the titles to "Unattractive running outfits" and "Ex-wives of Celebrities that run".

:? I see that I am going to have to get a little more creative - or more likely, your 4 categories pretty much cover everything. :?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidCPA
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every activity needs its version of People* magazine Very Happy

*FYI....I subscribe to both People and Runner's World.

Last edited by DavidCPA on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul Butler
Ron Clarke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me offer a counter-opinion.

I'm relatively new to running, and love it for many reasons. Most of you would laugh at my weekly mileage and/or pace, but it works for me, allows me to compete in local 5ks in my age group and run in all of the half and full marathons I want to (which currently sits at 3 and 3).

I personally love Runners World. For all of the fluff, which if it is sometimes I just don't read it, there are good product reviews, training tips and articles. If you don't like Kristen Armstrong, what about the LA marathon program that has helped hundreds of teenagers finish a marathon? The 9/11 article about the runner who couldn't return to running because it felt selfish amid all of the horror around him? The Muslim woman who runs because girls in her country aren't allowed to?

I met John Bingham in San Francisco, and while he won't help anyone set a PR, the number of folks that start out as Penguins and move up to "runners", like me, are huge.

To me RW is a combination entry level magazine for causual runners, who want to look cool with it on their coffee table, and mid-level folks who want to stay motivated, hear when the new Garmin is coming out and look for ideas to change up their training plans. I think you take what you like, toss the rest, and it can all make you a better runner.

I'm new to the forum too, so I'm certainly not telling anyone they're wrong, because everyone has an opinion and maybe I'm the one that has the skewed perspective.

Anyway. My $0.02.
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to take on the moral majority all by myself, but since Paul had the guts to speak up, I'll jump in:

How about the article on the girl that did the Hawaii Ironman with a prosthetic leg from the hip? Or the one about Paula Ratcliffe, who was deemed worthy of her own thread last month? Or the story on Huckabee and his losing 110 pounds and running his first marathon? This month was the discussion of Lance and his marathon prediction, a topic that is old news on this forum, as we debated the Armstrong/Prefontaine fantasy marathon competition.

Then, my all-time favorite, the story on what to the rest of you was a publicity seeking stunt, but to those few who participated, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to run with a legend - the Endurance50 marathon tour by Dean Karnazes. If you spent 4 hours visiting with him like I did, you would know just how real he is, and how committed to his cause that he is.

I'm sure these all fit snugly into the categories listed earlier. And I think the Penguin is great. You fast people forget that you have the slow people to thank for your fastness, relatively speaking, and there would be no races if they didn't all sign up. I also like the celebrity runner thing in the back. When Edwin McCain was in town doing a show a year or two ago, I got his autograph (another shunned practice on the forum) on it, and he got quite a kick out of it.

Oh, and the Hot Springs Spa 10-K was the Race of the Month year before last. And the LRM was listed as one of the Top 10 Small Marathons in the entire country, which has likely brought many to our state to run it. They also highlighted the world's largest finishers medal.

P.S. This is one of the worst topic highjackings in forum history, and until now, let the record show that I had nothing to do with it.

onthepitch
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labels, labels, labels. Gotta put a label on everything. If you like to read Runner's World, read it. If you get something out of it, great. If it motivates you to get off your butt and run or train harder, great. I have to admit that I, personally, don't spend too much time with it. I tend to gravitate towards Running Times, and more recently, Marathon and Beyond. Some people like to read people involved in running, some like to read about races, and some like to read only about different training methods. Could be why there are more than one publication out there. Didn't this start out about injuries and the like.........?

stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hee hee, boy isn't everyone upset?

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

and also - Runners World Fans - have you sent an encouraging letter to them? I would encourage you to do so because I sent an encouraging note to Columbia Sportswear and they sent me 3 free shirts! So go for it. :)
sidewinder
Herb Elliott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the pitch.....
Yep maybe it was injured EGOS....lol......Track and Field News is the real publication.....lol......Wasn't an arkansas native on the cover....why are we not slobbering over ourselves on that feat....why isn't everyone wanting to see what his running programme is about and going to compare and contrast it with theirs.....I bet he has a solid programme you can run off..... Very Happy
Rocket Man
Rick Wohlhuter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, they feel better now. The RW editors just refused to put them on the front cover, the back page, or even on those annoying little loose inserts. Life's not fair! Crying or Very sad I think it was all just BS anyway. Wink

I mentioned the RW rag 'cause they talked this month about mileage and injuries, which was what this topic started out about. This most excellent example of classic hijacking sprang from there. Cool, huh? 8)

But I think I'd like to follow-up on some specifics to the "run smart" sub-thread. All you elite (or elitist) runners, what are some examples of running smart? And if running dumb leads to injuries, and you were injured in the past, then were you running...? rolling eyes: No, serious examples, please. Maybe if I know some smart rules, I can increase my mileage...
Brian S-ski
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Young wrote:
But I think I'd like to follow-up on some specifics to the "run smart" sub-thread. All you elite (or elitist) runners, what are some examples of running smart? And if running dumb leads to injuries, and you were injured in the past, then were you running...? rolling eyes: No, serious examples, please. Maybe if I know some smart rules, I can increase my mileage...

Okay, this is getting a wee bit ridiculous. No one on this thread said they were elite. No one even said they were fast. It almost seems like you are trying to create a rift. Ginny mentioned she was fed up with Runner's World. I alluded that their articles are redundant. I don't recall anyone recommending a boycott or hunger strike until all copies of RW are burned.
Paul Butler pointed out that it is okay if someone likes RW and reads it. I agree with this. I also believe it is equally okay if someone does not like RW and shares their opinion about it on a running forum.
Now if anyone would like to discuss running injury healing/prevention, I'd be more than happy to.
DavidCPA
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting us back on topic....I guess there are injuries you can sustain that won't impair running but other important things in your life Shocked

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061011/hl_nm/workouts_fertility_dc

Moral of this story: You younger guys who want to have kids in the future should train less and slow down allowing us older guys who have all the kids we want to finish higher. Very Happy
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Young wrote:

Well.... As far as injury prevention goes - I didn't necessarily mean that there were rules that one had to follow to train smart. Um - to try and define smart running - the thing would be (strictly IMO) to try not and go by a set of rules, becuse it is when you become to rigid and set in your ways that you limit your potential and equally prone to getting injured.

And honestly - I can certainly pick up on the little barbs pointed my way in these posts, and I just want to clarify that I am in no way attacking anyone here or their training plans or mileage. I simply have my own approach to running, probaby should not have even mentioned it. As far as Runners World goes - there is too much fluff in it for me, and I have grown tired of sifting though it. No one here is an evil person, or a poor runner just because they read it.

So I hope that everyone is ok about this, and continue to run to your satisfaction. cheers.
sidewinder
Herb Elliott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to go Brian S.....all of you folks that hurt some in the legs from running....hehe...GET off the roads,sidewalks.....a lot of grass running will help.....or trails with dirt....change yer surface......even track work......have run around a football field so many times i felt i had a trench around it....lol

as for little barbs stealth....i must have big ones from certtain folks.....and he took that line (social security)from a movie rolling eyes: isn't that fake.....lol
LoisLane
Kipchoge Keino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy the recipes in RW - really. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: