Home   |   State Rep Blog   |   FAQs   |   Results   |   Photos   |   GP Info   |   Clubs   |   Archives   |   Links
www.arkansasrrca.com home www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index
Maintained for and by the Arkansas Running Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister *VIP Code = blue 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pains, Strains, and ITB Syndrome, Oh My! The Injury Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What has been you injury status since January 1, 2006?
No injuries, I'm invincible.
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Injured and couldn't run for < 1 week
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 1 week and < 1 month
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 1 month and < 3 months
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Injured and couldn't run for > 3 months
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Injured and ran through the pain
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Rocket Man
Rick Wohlhuter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Quote:
Okay, this is getting a wee bit ridiculous. No one on this thread said they were elite. No one even said they were fast. It almost seems like you are trying to create a rift. Ginny mentioned she was fed up with Runner's World. I alluded that their articles are redundant. I don't recall anyone recommending a boycott or hunger strike until all copies of RW are burned.
Paul Butler pointed out that it is okay if someone likes RW and reads it. I agree with this. I also believe it is equally okay if someone does not like RW and shares their opinion about it on a running forum.
Now if anyone would like to discuss running injury healing/prevention, I'd be more than happy to.

Brian, you can't tell when I'm serious and when I'm not (my Granddaughter can :P ). Or you are not happy with my smack. I really want you to know that I seriously think of you as elite (really!). And that is an honorable 8) word in my vocabulary. The "elitist" remark was what I think you call "smack." Anyway, I'm creating two other threads (my last post was actually an attempt to put us back on topic) related to this but to allow the discussions to branch off as needed. I do not try to cause rifts at least no more than the rest of us sorry forum users (abusers?). There I go again... Wink rolling eyes:
MarathonBoy
Abebe Bikila

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its all a matter of personal perspective when we place ourselves or others in any category. I also think that as a fairly new to running under-achiever, I might tend to exaggerate the accomplishments of my fellow runners out of sheer admiration, desire to be like them, and giddyness that I am actually hanging out with them.

However, the fact remains that only 1.6 percent of the 383,000 American marathons run in 2005 in 2005 were under 3 hours. One of the simpler definitions of elite is "the best or most skilled in a group." Draw your own conclusions.

Clydesdale
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of injuries............. Hey Sidewinder, how's your Cycling, I mean, Cross Country Team doing??? Very Happy
Brian S-ski
Paavo Nurmi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarathonBoy wrote:
How about the article on the girl that did the Hawaii Ironman with a prosthetic leg from the hip? Or the one about Paula Ratcliffe, who was deemed worthy of her own thread last month? Or the story on Huckabee and his losing 110 pounds and running his first marathon? This month was the discussion of Lance and his marathon prediction, a topic that is old news on this forum, as we debated the Armstrong/Prefontaine fantasy marathon competition.

Marathonboy, I was looking through the RW with Lance on the cover today and found an article about being to continue to run marathons well into old age. This made me think of you and your plan to run LR for the next 50 years. There is a particular paragraph that seems like it was written with you in mind. Hopefully this is not a copyright breach, but here it is word for word:
Runner's World wrote:
FEWER MARATHONS = FASTER MARATHONS

Marathon running can become a compulsive habit. There are some marathoners who toe the line every month (the Fifty State folks come to mind). That's fine, if your body and temperament allow it - and if your goal is to simply cross the finish line. But if you want to run quality marathons, you need to run them less frequently. "I use to think I needed only one month of decreased training to recuperate after a marathon, " says John Valentine, 56, of Roxbury, Vermont, who ran a 3:20 marathon in 1966 and a 3:19 in 2005. "Now I think it's closer to two months before I can get back into real quality training."

It goes on to recommend that 1-2 marathons per year is probably the optimal number if you are talking about all-out efforts. I'm sure that you have read this article and you definitely have experience in this area, so I wanted your take. After Lincoln, I definitely didn't feel back to my old running self until sometime in July.
So, my question for MB and the rest of the Forumites is, how many marathons can you peak for in a year? Yeah, I know there are examples of certain people running 20 marathons a year all under 2:30 or something, but I mean for the average person. And maybe that 2:30 guy could be a 2:20 guy if he only ran 1 or 2?
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I might could peak for 2 a year. I usually do White Rock in December, and LR in March. I know it takes 6 weeks or so to get my legs back where I want them, although I had a great 10K this March in Houston a week after I ran LR!
stealthycat
Glenn Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimhoward wrote:
Hmmm, I might could peak for 2 a year. I usually do White Rock in December, and LR in March. I know it takes 6 weeks or so to get my legs back where I want them, although I had a great 10K this March in Houston a week after I ran LR!

Not sure where I read it - but I recall reading something about being able to draw on the marathon training even after your race, but not to count on it. I think it's a fluke thing that happens, but not something you can make bets on. :?:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidCPA
Said Aouita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the most recent Runner's World, there is an article about how to get a good 5K/10K 4 weeks after your marathon. According to the article, you can get good results based on your hard work preparing for the marathon.
kimhoward
Emil Zatopek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years ago I had a HORRIBLE race at Boston. Had to walk a lot in the last few miles. So, it was really a long training run I guess. 2 weeks later, I P.R.ed at Toad Suck by 15 seconds in a 10K! I definitely wouldn't always count on it though. But I have to admit, after setting a PR at Little Rock, I was more than happy to come within 30 seconds of my 10K PR the following Saturday......(and that was after a LONG night of partying! Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ArkansasRRCA.com Forum Index -> Running Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: